This section describes basic functions and requirements associated with the SHRINE system.
You are eligible to use SHRINE if you meet both the following two criteria:
- Employed by one of the participating hospitals:
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC)
- Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) / Partners HealthCare
- Children's Hospital Boston (CHB)
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute (DFCI)
- Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) / Partners HealthCare
- Appointed at Harvard Medical School as Instructor or above or as Fellow
- Instructor or above
If you are a faculty member appointed at or above the level of Instructor, you may both initiate Query Topics and perform queries. You may also invite an eligible fellow employed at your hospital to participate in any approved topic.
If you are a Fellow, you may perform queries under the sponsorship of an eligible faculty member (Instructor or above) based at the same hospital. Sponsorship means the faculty member sends you a Query Topic Invitation after having initiated and received approval for that topic. When you respond to the faculty sponsor’s invitation and confirm your own eligibility, you may then perform queries associated only with that topic.
If you are not employed by a participating hospital, you may access SHRINE data indirectly under the following conditions:
- Employed by Harvard University (e.g., HMS, HSPH, HBS, FAS, SEAS)
- Appointed as Instructor or above
- Collaborate with a hospital-based SHRINE user in the medical specialty of your interest, who must initiate and receive approval for a Query Topic and perform queries on your behalf.
Your first step is to register at your hospital, where your employment and appointment will be verified. Turnaround time for registration varies according to hospital.
Query Topic Approval
Before you can query any data, you must use the Data Steward application to describe how you intend to use the SHRINE system to support your research. For example, you might use SHRINE to develop preliminary data for a grant proposal. IRB approval is not required to query data; the Data Steward administrator approves Query Topic requests based on general rationale and ethical validity, not scientific objectives. Section 1.1.2 of this guide describes the Data Steward in more detail.
You may use SHRINE in the latest version of your favorite browser, including Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Internet Explorer. (Note: Version 6 of Internet Explorer is not supported.)